Magic 4 Non-Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduction of new MtG "things" with the release of Shards of Alara

2 posters

Go down

Introduction of new MtG "things" with the release of Shards of Alara Empty Introduction of new MtG "things" with the release of Shards of Alara

Post  DarkRequiem Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:33 am

Shards of Alara is set to be released next October, the third with pre-release event scheduled for September, the twentieth.

It is believed that Shards will introduce several changes regarding booster packs which will still contain 15 random cards but where 1 of them is supposed to be a basic land. A bad move, the way I see it since it will lower the value of each pack, a move that will have a deep impact on some formats, namely draft and and sealed. If I wanted lands I'd buy the core set packs.
Another change that is named to take place is the inclusion of a new rarity level on the collection: mythic rares. This move only shows the lack of confidence and personality of the game, following trends of other games like the huge amount of levels of rarity in Yu-Gi-Oh! and the epic rares on World of Warcraft. This might also change the gameplay. We'll know more when Wizards starts talking openly of these cards.
Last change I'm aware of is that pre-constructed decks will cease to exist.

All this info can be read at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/20080602

Last edited by DarkRequiem on Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-07-11

http://magic4nongeeks.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Introduction of new MtG "things" with the release of Shards of Alara Empty Shards

Post  Lim-Dul Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:40 pm

To insert a basic Land in a booster pack is a very bad move, Wizards say "The reason for it was rather simple: beginning players were having problems getting land. Without land, you can't play the game...". I say, LOL.
If I was a new player in need of basic lands:
I would by the fat-pack and get the hole playset, or,
I would go to my local play arena and get them, usually they have tons of them, 4 free, or,
I would ask my playfriends for spare;
The new rarity I belive to be a smart move to increase trading/seling value to some specific cards, $$$;
"Theme Decks Are Becoming Intro Packs" says Wizards, another money move? After reading Mark Rosewater's column it might not be as bad as it seems if they keep the same re-sale price.

BTW, I have a hole display box of basic lands if anyone needs an extra forest, feel free to ask
Lim-Dul
Lim-Dul

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Introduction of new MtG "things" with the release of Shards of Alara Empty Re: Introduction of new MtG "things" with the release of Shards of Alara

Post  DarkRequiem Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:32 pm

Lim-Dul wrote:To insert a basic Land in a booster pack is a very bad move, Wizards say "The reason for it was rather simple: beginning players were having problems getting land. Without land, you can't play the game...". I say, LOL.
If I was a new player in need of basic lands:
I would by the fat-pack and get the hole playset, or,
I would go to my local play arena and get them, usually they have tons of them, 4 free, or,
I would ask my playfriends for spare;
The new rarity I belive to be a smart move to increase trading/seling value to some specific cards, $$$;
"Theme Decks Are Becoming Intro Packs" says Wizards, another money move? After reading Mark Rosewater's column it might not be as bad as it seems if they keep the same re-sale price.

BTW, I have a hole display box of basic lands if anyone needs an extra forest, feel free to ask

Who cares about lands in booster packs? Look at the core sets. They always had a basic land. Do they sell well? No! No one wants that freaking basic land eating up one card slot, period.

The rarity is a bad move though, I believe. It can go either WoW way, where they have epic cards that are hard to find and have very specific purposes ingame or they can go Yu-Gi-Oh way where a stupid awesome rare costs a fortune and is only available for the rich kids and can unbalance a game without precedents. In this case its more like you're out if you don't have specific epic rare. They are keeping us on the dark but I dislike this idea thus far. As for trading/selling value of specific cards... Its all good if you're lucky enough to get one of those and want to trade it away... But what if you feel that if you want to keep your deck competitive you need a specific epic rare and you have to buy it. Lets face it, not epic, dual lands are important to certain decks (in casual one can make do without them, but there are LOTS of people who care only for tournaments) and they are EXPANSIVE. Epic could get even more expansive... That's crap to me.

As for the decks... Meh. I have to see them first.
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-07-11

http://magic4nongeeks.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Introduction of new MtG "things" with the release of Shards of Alara Empty Re: Introduction of new MtG "things" with the release of Shards of Alara

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down