Magic 4 Non-Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U - No, you won't!

2 posters

Go down

U - No, you won't! Empty U - No, you won't!

Post  DarkRequiem Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:07 am

This is my answer to Lim-Dul's challenge (which can be found at http://magic4nongeeks.heavenforum.org/casual-f2/mono-u-total-counter-aka-no-you-don-t-aka-kill-you-of-boredom-t154.htm#533) and is just a first version of the deck which saw game only once so far (in a 3 players free for all kind of game) although I did enjoy its behavior.

The deck:

LANDS - 21
15 Snow-Covered Island
2 Izzet Boilerworks
2 Simic Growth Chamber
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge

ARTIFACTS - 1
1 Isochron Scepter

CREATURES - 9
2 Peregrine Drake
2 Sage Owl
2 Spire Owl
1 Arcanis the Omnipotent
1 Heidar, Rimewind Master
1 Palinchron

SPELLS - 29
4 Counterspell
4 Rune Snag
3 Boomerang
3 Ertai's Meddling
3 Lat-Nam's Legacy
3 Rewind
2 Logic Knot
2 Serum Visions
1 Condescend
1 Future Sight
1 Teferi's Response
1 Thought Reflection
1 Twincast

All these go for a grand total of 15 pure counter spells although Twincast and Ertai's Meddling were also used as counter. Same goes with the Scepter being imprinted with, today's case, a Counterspell although both Counterspell and Rune's Snag are both great targets for it.

Still, I'm considering broadening this deck so that it doesn't end up as just a hate deck. To do so I'm considering the following changes:

-3 Ertai's Meddling
-2 Serum Visions
+3 Memory Lapse (???)
+1 Boomerang
+1 Logic Knot

Just for fun I'm considering the addition of the following cards:
+1 Time Warp
+1 Time Stretch
+1 Mystical Tutor

or

+1 Mind's Desire
+1 Parallel Thoughts
+2 Three Wishes

or

+3 Tidings

The first 2 cards would allow little change to the deck and go for a very brutal assault while being backed up by every counter spell.
The second batch of cards on the other hand would allow a faster deck in mid-late game by skimming the deck a bit while allowing me to be selective. It does have several week points, mainly with Parallel Thoughts although the counters would be there to help it out.
The Tidings would help me getting more cards, of course. It might be either Tidings or something else that allows me to draw cards at a faster pace than Serum Vision and without much of a draw back (Compulsive Research comes to mind).
Whatever my choice might be, I'd end up using the Memory Lapse's slots and freeing another from something else.
At last, I might swap in some Tolaria West for a faster search on both legendary lands.

A thing I noticed when it comes to this deck is that I need to grow more accustomed to creatures that can be retrieved from the game to my hand whenever someone tries to kill them.

Input would be appreciated.

EDIT - Ok, so far I added +1 Mind's Desire, +1 Parallel Thoughts, +1 Time Warp and +1 Time Stretch removing -3 Memory Lapse and -1 Teferi's Response. Although the Response is one great card, it is too conditioned so it came out. I love how Twincast plays with Time Stretch and Time Warp, doubling the extra turns! Smile The only thing that I'm not sure is if I have enough counterspells. I've been goldfishing (its when you play solo games, pretending to play against someone who isn't there, mostly to check how good the deck flows but not the best way to test a deck of course) and I noticed that I might need a few more counters in a real game. To do so I might add Memory Lapse back in and possibly remove the Owls.
Ideas?

EDIT 2 - ARGH!!!! Ok, after much thinking I decided to remove both Time Walk and Time Stretch and add back Memory Lapse since it can be a game locker when imprint to the Scepter. Anyway, I'll be placing a new post because this one is getting way too weird.
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-07-11

http://magic4nongeeks.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

U - No, you won't! Empty Re: U - No, you won't!

Post  DarkRequiem Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:56 am

Ahhhhhhhh!!! Easier on the eye, I believe. Smile

So, the deck as it stands:

LANDS - 21
10 Snow Covered Island
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Seat of the Synod
1 Boseju, Who Shelters All
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Tolarian Academy

ARTIFACTS - 2
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Isochron Scepter

CREATURES - 6
2 Peregrine Drake
1 Arcanis the Omnipotent
1 Archivist
1 Heidar, Rimewind Master
1 Palinchron

SPELLS - 31
4 Boomerang
4 Counterspell
4 Memory Lapse
4 Rune Snag
3 Impulse
3 Lat-Nam's Legacy
3 Logic Knot
1 Commandeer
1 Condescend
1 Future Sight
1 Parallel Thoughts
1 Thought Reflection
1 Twincast

I should have more copies of Isochron Scepter. *sigh*
Also I removed Rewind to free the 4cmc slot. By doing so I'll get cmc 1, 3 and 4 free for usage with Chalice of the Void. In their place I added 3 Impulse although in truth I wanted 3 Gush which can be played for free and is an instant. Searching for that card!
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lim-Dul Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 pm

see what a Blue Mana deck hater does upon challenge, lol.
Lim-Dul
Lim-Dul

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRequiem Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:26 pm

Blue is the colour of the plague!!!
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum