Magic 4 Non-Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From the Vault: Dragons

2 posters

Go down

From the Vault: Dragons Empty From the Vault: Dragons

Post  DarkRequiem Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:09 am

it has been discussed before but now... Well, now WotC released more info on it. Read it at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/469b and tell us what you think of it.

Finally I'll get my dirty paws on Kokusho. Great.
As for the rest... Damn, Rith and Nicol both look awesome!!! Me wants them!!!
Two-Headed Dragon's art makes me drool...

So far we have:
RED:
Shivan Dragon (of course!)
Two-Headed Dragon
Thunder Dragon (someone said weenie?)
Hellkite Overlord (what does it do???)
Form of the Dragon
MULTI:
Nicol Bolas
Rith, the Awakener
BLACK:
Kokusho, the Evening Star

We're lacking a white and a blue dragon at least. Besides, thus far we have 8 out of 15 cards. We already know one of them won't be a creature but a dragon-related spell.
I hope one of the remaining to be seen cards is a Vampiric Dragon. Another I'd love to see would be Catacomb Dragon but we all know that it won't see reprint due to restrictions imposed by WotC.

What do you guys think of this?
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-07-11

http://magic4nongeeks.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

From the Vault: Dragons Empty Re: From the Vault: Dragons

Post  Lim-Dul Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:34 am

you can count Rith as a white dragon,
since they are going to keep it mostly red and since the featuring deck has to be playable, Dragonstorm will have to be in so that you are able to play the non-mono-red dragons, another option would be to put in some multi-colored lands but I don't think that is going to happen
if Scion of the Ur-Dragon is put in they manage to cover all 5 colours and the most recent Dragon cycle as well
Dragon's claw is certainly going to be in
Lim-Dul
Lim-Dul

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRequiem Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:53 am

Hummmm... They'll only have 2 non-dragon cards. So either Dragonstorm or Dragon's Claw, you can't vote for both since we already know that there will be Form of the Dragon. Besides, there's Day of the Dragons in blue, rare and a powerouse. I vouch for that one instead.

As for Rith, it is considered to be green. I think you're thinking about Treva instead. She's the one who's white. I mean... They're multicoloured but they're power comes from green for the former and white for the late.

For artifacts I almost bet they'll either choose Draco or Lotus Guardian. I'll be pissed at any other artifact dragon. I mean, Teeka's Dragon would be cool but a. its from Mirage and the same principle that excludes Catacomb Dragon excludes this one also and b. it has Rampage, something that WotC seems to be trying to forget.

Now, what about white? Hopefully we'll see Eternal Dragon. And if that's the case I'll be tremendously pleased! Very Happy
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lim-Dul Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:11 am

of course I can vote for both since dragon's claw isn't directly dragon related
Day of the dragons I think not since it is U mana activated (keep it red), the same for eternal dragon

Rith is considered W since it has W mana in it's casting cost and I think that's what they where considering with "all 5 colours"
Lim-Dul
Lim-Dul

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRequiem Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:18 pm

Man, have you read the article? Razz
They say there will be only 15 cards (no lands, no nothing) with 2 non-dragon but dragon related cards, 1 of them being Form of the Dragon and the other one being something else. So now they only have 1 slot for a non-dragon creature card. It has to be either Dragon Claw, Dragonstorm or another card. You won't see both Dragon Calw and Dragonstorm there, from what they say on the article.

Besides, they say they tried to cover all 5 colours. Dragonstorm was reprinted in TS while Day of the Dragons wasn't. Ok, Nicol Bolas was also printed in TS and is reprinted here but Nicol Bolas is THE dragon. Anyway, Dragonstorm has high chances of being reprinted, no doubt.

And they seem to be trying to have the 5 colours in the box, making it possible to have Day of the Dragons. In no part they say they want to keep it red. As a matter of fact they say they tried to gather the 5 colours with principal focus on red. So they don't exclude the others.

As for Rith, yes, it is multicolour, meaning it is white also. But the activation cost of the ability is green, making it the "green" dragon of the cycle. Treva is the "white", Dromar the "blue", Darigaaz the "red" and Crosis the "black".
Besides they state somewhere in the article that they consider Rith as being the green dragon. Razz
"Rith, the Awakener is a pretty unique Dragon Legend. First off, she's green, one of only 13 green Dragons ever printed in Magic. Secondly, she makes Saprolings. Thirdly, she's got antlers!"
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lim-Dul Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:11 am

ok I haven't read it with all my attention...
what!? it is not going to be a playable deck!?
my excitement has gone down the drain...
Lim-Dul
Lim-Dul

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRequiem Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:29 am

Lim-Dul wrote:what!? it is not going to be a playable deck!?

No, it won't. It'll be 15 rare dragon cards. Well, 13 dragons and 2 dragon themed non creature cards. Smile
All foil, I believe.
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lim-Dul Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:41 am

if I wanted just 15 cards I would go out and buy the singles...
thumbs up for the alternative artwork, foil version and tournament legal, but still a bit desapointing Humpf
Lim-Dul
Lim-Dul

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRequiem Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:28 am

You sure? It'll be sold at a price around 20-30€... I doubt you'd buy these singles at that price. Specially if they add Zodiac Dragon, a red dragon that the americans want to see in the box, only printed in Portal 3rd Age and selling for about $50 US.
I mean, even if they don't put that specific dragon you'll have Shivan, Nicol, Kokusho, the new one, Two-Headed, Rith and a lot of other rare cards, foil version and alt-art for a low price. I think it to be a fair deal. Buying the singles... You'd have a lot of expanses, believe me.

Oh! I hope to see Rakdos Pit Dragon and/or Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind. Very Happy
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRequiem Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:07 am

And the dragons are out!!!

This is what one can find on the box:
* Bladewing the Risen
* Bogardan Hellkite
* Draco
* Dragon Whelp
* Dragonstorm
* Ebon Dragon
* Form of the Dragon
* Hellkite Overlord
* Kokusho, the Evening Star
* Nicol Bolas
* Niv Mizzet, the Firemind
* Rith, the Awakener
* Shivan Dragon
* Thunder Dragon
* Two-Headed Dragon

The Hellkite Overlord reads:

Hellkite Overlord - 4BRRG
Creature - Dragon
Flying, trample, haste
R: Hellkite Overlord gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
BG: Regenerate Hellkite Overlord.
"The dragon has no pretense of compassion, no false mask of civilization — just hunger, heat, and need."
—Sarkhan Vol
8/8
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lim-Dul Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:15 am

a hole booster of Big Nasty Fire-spitting minions, cool
isn't the new one just a bit to big fury (scaled) monster
Lim-Dul
Lim-Dul

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRequiem Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:29 am

This is my general idea about it:
Bladewing was expected I think.
Bogardan Hellkite was on TSP.
I was also expecting Draco.
Dragon Whelp was on TSB and, most of all, has never been a rare card! They had better things to put on that slot so I'm pissed at this one.
Dragonstorm was on TSB. Expected but they could have chosen other things for this slot.
Ebon Dragon pisses me. It was only edited in Portal so it isn't tournament legal, right? Besides, they already had placed Kokusho as a black dragon... If they wanted to keep it black why not pick a multicolour dragon as they did with Rith for example? For the ability itself I favour Abyssal Horror.
Form of the Dragon is great
Hellkite Overlord... Not sure about it but isn't it a bit too expansive to be hardcast? And when Alara is released Dragonstorm will rotate out of T2, right? So, not sure if it is a good card for T2. For extended... I just wouldn't bet on it.
Kokusho, the almighty! Yay! But we already knew he'd be in there.
Nicol Bolas, same as Kokusho.
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind... I love this guy, so thumbs up.
Rith, expected and great.
Shivan Dragon is THE dragon. Enough said.
Thunder Dragon was also expected and is cool. Same as Ebon Dragon when it comes to tournament legality, right?
Two-Headed Dragon also expected and great.

So, all in all we have great dragons, cards that could have been replaced for better choices and I'm going to buy it. Still a little bit disappointed.

And yes, it is way too stupid to be an actual playable monster, so a big scaled monster that few will care to play. Bah!
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down