Magic 4 Non-Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Card Discussion: Mundungu Vs. Daring Apprentice

2 posters

Go down

Card Discussion: Mundungu Vs. Daring Apprentice Empty Card Discussion: Mundungu Vs. Daring Apprentice

Post  DarkRequiem Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:50 am

I already have my own idea about each card but would like to know what do you guys think of it before saying anything.

Facts:
Both have the same cmc (converted mana cost) 3
Both have the same P/T 1/1
Both need to be tapped, meaning that both have summoning sickness and can only be used on the turn after they came into play

Which one would you more readily use in a deck? Why?
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-07-11

http://magic4nongeeks.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Card Discussion: Mundungu Vs. Daring Apprentice Empty Re: Card Discussion: Mundungu Vs. Daring Apprentice

Post  Lim-Dul Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:14 am

definetly Daring Aprentice is my choice,
he is just like a suspended Cancel, no unless question,
Mundungo is a bad Mana Leak that only works if the oponent is taped out, if you have a Mundungo in play your oponent would wait for another mana point to be awailable to cast "the spell", at least I would...
Lim-Dul
Lim-Dul

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Card Discussion: Mundungu Vs. Daring Apprentice Empty Re: Card Discussion: Mundungu Vs. Daring Apprentice

Post  DarkRequiem Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:41 pm

I don't think that this is a simple choice. Lets check?

Even though they're both 1/1 creatures with 3cmc that counter spells, they are very different in the core.
Mundungu is by far more easy to play in a blue/black deck than the Apprentice since the Apprentice asks for UU to be played. This means that it most probably will only see play mono-decks. In a multi-coloured deck it'll be easier to have a swamp and an island in game than two islands.
Furthermore, with four Apprentices in a deck you only get to counter a maximum of 4 spells per game. Granted, Mundungu may or may not counter something since the opponent can always play the additional cost to cast his spell whereas with the Apprentice things get utterly countered. Yet, Mundungu is a black creature meaning that it can be cast at 2nd turn:
T1: Swamp
T2: Island
Tap Swamp for Dark Ritual, tap Island for U, cast Mundungu and have B to spend on something else (Carnophage?)
And by being black it can also be empowered by any of the blue and black lieges and by Bad Moon making it resilient to Pyroclasm. The Apprentice dies to everything, being target of any kill spell your opponent might have before summoning sickness wears off.
On the other hand, Mundungu can give you an edge on life, forcing your opponent to keep paying 1 life per Mundungu in play to get his spell played. And by spending 1 mana it also means that he won't have 1 mana to spend on some other spell he might be willing to use that turn, possibly forcing him to cast the 2nd desired spell only next turn (specially true in early game). Such delay can be good.

So, due to the fact that I despise mono-blue and that Mundungu can be more versatile, I prefer Mundungu, even though I do know that the Apprentice is, above all, one more counter in a blue deck.
Still, truth be told, between the two of them I ended up choosing to play with the Apprentice on a deck of mine due to combos it can have with other creatures. Twisted Evil

Above everything else, the community seems to prefer the Apprentice, standing firmly with Lim-Dul since Mundungu was only printed once while the Apprentice got printed at least 4 times if my memory serves me correctly.

More points of view are recommended and discussion on the already discussed opinions are also welcome.
DarkRequiem
DarkRequiem
Admin

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-07-11

http://magic4nongeeks.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down